Friday, September 7, 2012

Pinch Pot: Flower Vase





The "slip and score" is a technique used when connecting two pieces of clay. I will have to use this technique to pt together the top, curvy part of my vase to the base I made on the first day of the project. First, I'll score the clay, scratching up the rim of the base and top that I want to connect together. Then, I'll wet my finger and pass the water over the scored surface. The water will serve like a glue of sorts, while the scored surfaces are kind of like a jigsaw puzzle fitting together snugly. This way, the piece won't crack, and it will be much sturdier and harder to take apart.


To show symmetry in this piece I make sure to apply pressure on all sides of the piece evenly. At one point, the curvy part at the top of the vase curved more sharply on one end. I'm trying to use both of my hands when shaping the outside. The outside also has to be smooth, so I fix each accidental scratch right after I make it, or as soon as I notice it. The symmetry will be more evident once the clay has been fired and I can start painting. Until that time, I will keep working on it... Stay tuned, Gleeson :)


2 comments:

  1. Looking good. I'm excited! Can't wait to see the final piece. Oh, and slip would officially be considered "watered down clay."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think I was outside the room when you were talking about slip...
    I'm excited too!

    ReplyDelete